Thursday, March 29, 2012

How often to backup the Transaction log.

I do a full overwrite backup of the database at 3am, I also do an overwrite
backup of the transaction log at 3:30. Then during the 2 production shifts I
run differential backups every hour on the hour. I do a transaction log
backup every hour on the half-hour. Is this too often, what is a problem
manifests itself after the trans log is overwriten. The processes do not
take long and they are not a strain on the system. I am doing a standby
server to handle server crashes, seems to me that I should have as recent a
backup as possible.
thoughts?
thanks,
jcjc
It definitely should not be a problem to backup your TLog every hour. I hav
e many systems that back up every 5 minutes. As long as you are not stressi
ng your system then backup as often as you see fit.
Jeff Duncan
MCDBA, MCSE+I

No comments:

Post a Comment