Thursday, March 29, 2012

How often to do certain maintanence tasks.

Hi,

I just volunteered to be the database administrator of our new sql server. I am normally the programmer so I have little experience with database administration. There are some basics that I need some assistance with mainly when to perform various maintanence checks. For example, how often do I need to perform some of the dbcc commands that I have read about? How often do I check for data integrity, index fragmentation, rebuilding indexes, or defrag indexes?

I have to come up with a plan by tomorrow and I don't know if I have anything solid enough since I don't exactly know when to perform some of these tasks. :confused:

Thanks so much for your advice.Did you get what you need from SQLTeam?

Anyway...there is never an absolute answer...

How big ids the db?

Assume it's small

Dump everynight at 3:000AM

Tranny dumps every hour (I do 15 minutes)

Integrity everynight at 4:30AM

Refrag at 5:00 Sunday morning

ship tranny logs to warm stand by

By a margarita

Flirt with closer women (or gender preferecne)

Hope pager doesn't go off

Have another 'rita

repeat last 4 steps|||http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad

The only thing I do different is the reindexes. That happens pretty much every night where we can afford it. Weekends where we can't.|||Look at you posting Tara's utils...need to let her know...

Refrags every night?

How big is the db?

How much activity?

Damn...the glass is empty again....|||The databases range from 16 gig to 40 gig. Our archives are quite a bit bigger so we don't do it on those every day to say the least. We run 300-400 t/sec with peaks way over 1000. The read/writes are pretty high also, so we have some indexes that can get pretty messed up if we don't do this.

We've stopped doing it several times and watched the performance suffer because of it, so it's not just because it "makes me feel good". :)|||Well, there is no production database on the sql server yet. A new accounting application, deltek Vision, is going to be installed on the sql server. Also, deltek is going to do the whole data migration and database structure.

I don't even know that much about anything because I am jumping into new territory and I have not been working at the company very long. All I know is that the system is not going to be as big as a hospital setup but more for a managing a small company.

I know this information is probably not helping. Maybe what would help me is perhaps I need to be told what I need to know or what I should research?

Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment